11.24.2008

the toast & the flip and toast.

With gadgets like the SureShot (which still cracks me up every time) you've already done most of the idiot-proofing, Tim Hortons. Yet, there is still room for error and general frustration-provoking encounters. Now of course, this may not be the case in all of your locations, but certainly my last 2 incidences with you have been less than satisfactory.

Location: basement of the SSC.

Incident 1: I was too hungry and cold to wait until going home for food and figured a bowl of mediocre soup would somewhat solve the problem. The accompanying piece of bread is of course, nowhere near the boy's home baked goods, but it'll do. Especially if toasted. Putting on my biggest grin, I asked the lady pleasantly if she would please slice it open to toast for me. "I don't toast! This is small piece of baguette!" Yes, I was aware that it was a mini baguette. Again, I patiently expressed that I wanted it toasted. "No toast! It burn!". Um, actually - it's about same thickness as your mediocre bagels, which never thoroughly toast on one pass (and thus never burn). I ask her again - third time's the charm? "Not my fault if burnt bagel." Yeah, okay. She grudgingly toasts it, cranking the speed on the toaster up to further prevent it from "burning". The result? A pretty unscathed and surprise! not toasted piece of bread. Oh well, it was at least warm. Ish.

Incident 2: I was too hungry to wait until going home for food (again. I should start stocking provisions at the lab - I cringe every time I have to spend money on campus food). The lineup in the basement of the UCC was a tad less crazy than the one upstairs, so off I go again. Mission: cream cheese bagel, twice toasted. I double checked with the cashier - it'll be flipped, then toasted again? Of course, it wasn't she who served me (that would've been too efficient). It was someone who was trying to juggle my bagel and the turkey sandwich order behind me. I eyed her stacking the sandwich hesitantly and messily (did you not see the cheat sheet, noob?). When she took my bagel out and proceeded with cream cheese-ing it, I gently reminded her that I wanted it toasted again. "Oh! It written here already on order!" Then why did I have to remind you? Then, the fatal mistake: she toasted it on the same bloody side. I walked away dissatisfied with blackened innards and untoasted externals.

1 comment:

Phronk said...

Noobs!

I wonder if Williams in the UCC would be more accommodating to special instructions; since nobody ever goes there, at least they'd have time to pay attention.